Terms & Conditions
What's included in your hire
What is in each Campervan
Each vehicle has a comprehensive set of fixtures and fittings. Full details of what is included in each vehicle can be found on their respective pages....
Your Campervan Rental Includes
We ensure that there are no hidden costs and all charges are transparent. When organising your holiday our quoted rates are based on calendar days for hire (not a 24 hour day). This means, for example, if you collect the campervan on a Saturday and return it the following Saturday, the hire period would be 8 days. The following items are included in the hire:
- Unlimited kilometres.
- Your vehicle hire will include comprehensive insurance cover (excesses apply),
- GST (New Zealand tax) as well as 24/7 AA breakdown back-up service.
- A full tank of road fuel which must be full at the end of the hire.
- Full LPG gas bottle.
- Familiarisation with vehicle at time of hire.
- Complementary “pick up” and “drop off” service to/from Nelson Airport.
- Key “how to” information for managing those important fixtures and fittings within your van plus a list of important engine and vehicle checks.
- Quality kitchen equipment (cooking utensils, cutlery, crockery etc.).
- Quality linen and bedding (for hire exceeding 7 days).
- Our best efforts to achieve any fair & reasonable requests made by our guests.
What's not included in your hire
The following costs are additional to your hire fee:
- Motorhome fuel (Diesel) and NZ Government Road User Tax ($6.00 per 100km).
- Personal Insurances – you should have cover for your own personal effects
- and medical insurance as these are not covered by your hire fees.
- Camping ground fee costs.
- Any excesses which may become liable resulting from damage to your vehicle or contents.
- Any costs which may become liable resulting from negligent damage to your
- hire vehicle or contents.
- Cost of replacement for breakages or damage to the contents of your vehicle that occur above and beyond what might be reasonably considered fair wear and tear, which will be covered from a “bond”.
- Traffic and parking infringements.
Paying for your holiday
How the hire is calculated
When you hire a campervan it is on a calendar day basis. The day the campervan is picked up is counted as day 1 and the day the van is returned is counted as the final day of the rental period.
Minimum Hire Periods
The minimum hire period is 10 days during our peak period (November through April). Shorter periods may be available in the 'off peak period' subject to demand and availability of vehicles.
To secure Your booking
An estimate of your total hire costs will be prepared, including all optional extras and bookings as requested. At this time a non-refundable deposit of NZ$750.00 is required to secure your booking.
Once your deposit has been paid a confirmation of your booking will be sent to you.
The remaining balance of your hire must be paid no less than 14 days prior to your departure.
You can pay for your holiday by Visa or Mastercard. We will provide the details via email. Alternatively, you can pay directly into our bank account or use telephone or internet banking.
Please ensure that your booking number, or name, are quoted when you make any payments – we cannot be held responsible for any disappointment or cancelled bookings that may arise if your payment is unidentified. In all cases we request that you tell us when the payment has been made.
Payment of the security bond may be authorised by credit card, however it is important to note that only the Hirer’s credit card can be accepted.
If you do not have visa or mastercard, we will require cleared funds for the security bond.
Our standard practice is to accept payment of the bond via a credit card authority BUT NO TRANSACTION IS PROCESSED unless a claim against the insurance or hirer is required.
A non-refundable administration fee will apply to all Visa and Mastercard transactions in the event of a refund.
For more information on the security bond and insurance cover please read that section.
Making changes to your booking
General changes to Your booking
If there is subsequently any change to your original booking please advise - we will do our best to accommodate your needs. Please note that some changes may incur an additional charge.
A request to extend your holiday will be dealt with by availability at the time and a quotation given for the extended period.
Cancellations and Refunds
|If cancelled 28 days or more prior to pick up.||20% of rental|
|If cancelled 14 - 27 days prior to pick up.||50% of rental|
|If cancelled less than 14 days prior to pick up.|
However if we are able to re-let the vehicle to another party
we may be able to give a partial refund,
solely at the discretion of the owners
|100% of rental|
|If you fail to arrive (this is termed a "no show").||100% of rental|
Once your hire has commenced, then no refund is possible should you terminate your holiday early.
In all cases: If Travel NZ has incurred actual costs (such as accommodation, flights, ferry bookings or hire costs on your behalf) then Travel NZ will take all reasonable steps to cancel these bookings and obtain a refund. You will be liable for any such costs incurred where a full refund is not received.
At the Time of Booking
When you make your booking we will need you to advise us of:
- the names and ages of all vehicle users (drivers and passengers).
- the number (and ages) of children under the age of 5 (as these children will require an age-appropriate NZ compliant child seat).
- the pick-up and drop-off locations (if outside of Nelson).
- The time you wish to pick up and drop off the vehicle
- any special needs that we should be aware of.
- any equipment or items of hire that you wish us to organise on your behalf.
No later than 14 days before Your travel
Your campervan hire should have been paid in full by this time.
We need to know about any additional items that you may require us to hire on your behalf. Please note that the less notice you give us means a higher risk of the item that you want not being available.
Starting your hire
Vehicles are available for collection from our depot unless advance arrangements have been made.
Pick-up times are between 9am and 5pm Monday to Saturday (Sunday by arrangement).
All drivers must be aged 21 years or older.
We will require the names and ages of all drivers and must sight their driver's license before the commencement of your holiday.
All drivers must sign the terms and conditions of hire.
For your information, all drivers must have a full New Zealand driver's license or International license (in English) on their person at all times and to not do so is an offense under the NZ traffic laws.
Compulsory Standard Insurance
All hire fees includes compulsory insurance and damages cover.
This insurance is comprehensive and includes public liability insurance.
Windscreen and glass breakage, as well as tyre damage, are covered if an excess reduction insurance option is selected; please discuss this with us.
The hirer is liable to pay a compulsory bond to cover the event of an accident or damage done to the vehicle or contents. The security bond of $3,500 covers the insurance excess and the hirer can select a different excess and insurance cover for a fee; please discuss this with us.
You should have your own insurance to cover your personal effects as well as medical cover.
Any traffic and other infringements, not paid directly to the applicable authority, will be debited to the Hirer at the infringement cost plus a $60.00 administration fee.
A Security Bond
As stated, a compulsory bond is required for all campervan hires.
The bond will be equivalent to the insurance excess, either $3,500.00, $1,250.00 or $325.00, and include GST. The bond is payable, by credit card, prior to pick-up.
The bond is FULLY REFUNDABLE providing the vehicle has not been in an accident or damaged in any way and all the requirements and terms and conditions of the hire have been fulfilled.
Accidents and Breakdowns
Vehicle is involved in an Accident
In the event of an accident you are required to ring (or contact) the Police and lodge an accident report with them.
The emergency number for Police, Ambulance or Fire is 111 for:
- Anything that is happening now or has just happened, and
- People are in danger, or
- Property is in danger of loss or damage, or
- A crime is being committed and the person or persons who did it is/are nearby, or
- There is a major public inconvenience
You must ring and notify Travel NZ of the accident within 24 hours and you agree to take whatever action is requested of you by Travel NZ in order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of yourselves and/or the vehicle.
If there is a Breakdown
For road-side assistance ring: Automobile Association (AA) Roadside Assistance on
Call toll free on 0800 734 543 or *222 from your mobile and quote Company Membership: 3479663.
You must ring and notify Travel NZ of the breakdown within 48 hours and you agree to take whatever action is requested of you by Travel NZ in order to ensure the safety and wellbeing of yourselves and/or the vehicle.
Failure to notify Travel NZ of a Breakdown or Accident
A failure to notify Travel NZ of any accident or breakdown may result in the following consequences:
- The insurance cover may be put at risk or become void.
- The campervan hire may be put at risk or become void.
- Additional costs and fees may become liable and will be deducted from the security bond.
Maintenance and Repairs
The hirer shall take all reasonable care to ensure that the vehicle is properly maintained during the hire period, including regular checks of oil nd water. The hirer shall be liable for any cost associated with the incorrect use of fuel type (diesel or petrol).
The failure of accessories such as TV, DVD, CD player does not constitute a breakdown. Whilst we will endeavour to facilitate any repairs during the rental period, the hirer is not entitled to a vehicle change or compensation should repairs be impossible.
The availability of an exchange vehicle is not guaranteed; provision is subject to availability, client location, accident liability and remaining hire duration.
End of Hire
Things You need to take care of
Campervans should be returned at the agreed time between 9am and 5pm Monday to Saturday (Sunday by arrangement). In order to have your security bond refunded in full, please ensure that the following have been attended to:
- The campervan has been refuelled.
- The motorhome has been cleaned to a reasonable level.
- The toilet cassette and waste water have been emptied.
- The campervan is returned to our depot or an agreed location
- Where we have to re-fuel the vehicle on your behalf a surcharge of $60.00 will apply.
If a campervan is returned in an unreasonably dirty state then we reserve the right to charge for its cleaning.
Vehicles not returned by the agreed time or to the agreed drop off location will incur additional fees and daily hire charges.
Things We will take care of
Travel NZ will clean all linen and bedding once the campervan has been returned to base.
There are no charges for this service.
LPG Refills or any Unforeseen Expense
LPG (gas for cooking and hot water heating) is included in your hire charge.
Please keep receipts for any LPG refills (or other unforeseen expense that would normally be covered by Travel NZ) as such costs can be refunded to you at our discretion.
Please note that no refund can be made if the receipt has not been kept.
Incomplete Inventory or Breakages
The cost of repair and replacement of any losses, damages, breakages to the campervan and/or inventory may be charged at actual cost plus a 20% handling fee.
All Vehicles are Non-Smoking
All Travel NZ campervans are non-smoking and a cleaning fee of $500.00 will be charged to any hirer that smokes, or permits smoking, within the van.
Travel NZ vehicles are not permitted on the following roads:
- Skippers Road (Queenstown)
- Ski Field or Mountain roads
- Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
- North of Colville township (Coromandel peninsula)
- Unsealed Roads EXCEPT those maintained by city or district councils or the
- Department of Conservation. In addition short access roads to private properties are allowed
We recommend that you repack your gear into soft bags instead of suitcases as these take up less room and are more easily fitted into your Campervans storage units.
In the event of any accident or breakdown, Travel NZ’s liability is limited to the to the maximum amount of your remaining daily hire.
Travel NZ is not liable for any losses or consequences arising from any accident or breakdown.
Third Party Bookings
We will always do our utmost to assist you where you have requested us to make bookings on your behalf for any third party including:
- Inter-Island ferry services.
- Equipment hire.
Please note that these bookings and services are made on your behalf and are generally outside of our control and as such:
- We are not responsible should an item requested not be available.
- We are not responsible for any delays, failures, breakages, damage or disappointment that may arise should the service or item not meet with your expectations.
- We will not be held responsible should a “wrong” or “incorrect” item be supplied.
- We urge you to satisfy yourself that your requests are clearly communicated.
- We also urge you to verify that any bookings or items or hire are correct prior to your departure.
We continually strive to update and improve our vehicles and inventory. As such pictures, illustrations and text in any of our documentation, brochures or website are subject to change.
All images serve as examples offered for rental and Travel NZ reserves the right to make variances or substitutes of vehicles and inventory as may be required.
If there are any items we have not covered to your satisfaction, or you have a specific query, please contact us direct and we will endeavour to meet your requirements so you can fully enjoy your holiday.